15 March 2010

Fanaticism, Dogma, and Conspiracy Theories

Last week I happened to hit my head repeatedly against this wall. I guess I find it hard to shut up and not give my opinion when someone publicly announces something as irresponsible as " Did you know that Human rights are against the 10 Commandments?"

"uhmmm No!"

I pointed out to said person, on Facebook that maybe it's a good idea to first look at what Human rights are, before so quickly accepting what some kind of zealot so irresponsibly utters. Of Course she came back with a 100 contradictory "facts" based on conspiracy theories and dogma.

I attempted to still get my point across, respectfully, and be the bringer of an opposing Point of View. I did it Rationally and calmly and respectfully, and after a few of her Fanatical friends joined I could feel the word "satanist" hovering in the background of their thoughts.

It seems they all belong to a branch of the seventh day Adventist church which preaches Conspiracy theories as fact, and watch DVD's etc confirming it. No one questions anything or tries to find validation for anything, because the "church" said it's true then obviously it has to be truth.

The Church decides on it's "only" interpretation from the bible that could possibly make sense, then of course it Has to be the truth. ( sarcasm, for those who don't get it)

What happened to using your own head. Asking the hard questions, making up your own mind, and finding your own validation.

I guess it is a useless battle to fight. Most religious people I know are very well balanced, can think for themselves, and do ask the hard questions. I just don't know why I seem to all of a sudden be surrounded by those who are so Fanatical they would probably drink the cool-aid if the church said to do it.

I feel pain for those people. I feel pain because I know that their lives and their experiences are just as valid as mine, I feel pain because according to what I believe I was obviously also there a couple of lives ago, and I guess I recognise that pain.

The pain of needing someone to tell you what is right and what is wrong and be your light in the dark scary world, where all along, your light is inside yourself, and most of the Darkness created by yourself.

I wish there was anything I could say or do to let them know it's not so dark and evil outside, or inside. I also know that it is mostly futile, and so I am able to move on and not get bogged down in the frustration those kind of debates cause me.

Yay for spiritual evolution, and never having to go back and do that again. And hurray for being able to have a discussion about it, without being killed or jailed, and Viva Human Rights, for giving me freedom to choose.

I wish I could remove this person from my friends list, as she's really not a friend. Unfortunately she is the wife of my brother's best friend, someone I have publicly defended in the past, but obviously didn't know very well. I am always surprised at the extend to which someone like her, who really has everything, beauty, a husband who can provide so she doesn't have to work, financial security, 3 beautiful kids, can suffer so greatly from a lack of self esteem.

I've decided to hide her status though, so I don't have to feel the need to answer any of her zealous posts, and she doesn't feel the need to put my brother in the middle of our debates, which she obviously takes a lot more personally than I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment